Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Contemplating....

Times are tough.... for everyone... I've been trying to figure out places I can cut back. I'm pretty darn close to cutting the cable for the tv off. We don't need it, we might miss it, but we don't need it. We're not a family of extravagance, so I don't have a list of things I can cut out to lower our monthly expenses.

But there is one thing I'm struggling with......

My gym membership.....

I signed up last June, they had a deal I couldn't pass up - $30.00 a month, no contract, my kids are free. I take a class 2 days a week, and two of my girlfriends are there most days - working out with others is always so much easier. I've also really come to enjoy having a choice to run inside or outside depending on the weather. I like my membership. I really like it.....

The question is, do I really need it? For years I would tell everyone I have the perfect gym in the outdoors, why do I need to pay to exercise?! But now that I have the perfect indoor gym that gives me a total body work out two days a week, why would I want to stop that? I don't like when my "things" have a hold on me, I should be stronger then that, but this is really holding on tight....



2 comments:

  1. That's a hard one, I think you would have to think along the lines of would I do less without it? We had our cable & land line shut off, & every time I go to buy something I have to ask myself, how badly do we need this? It's amazing the things you can learn to live without. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to comment...

    I actually called my gym to cancel my membership about five or six months ago. I didn't want to do it but I called and told them I wanted out. They were able to talk me into staying by offering me a membership at a lower rate. Instead of 30 bucks I got it down to 19.99 a month. The only drawback is that I can only go to my local gym as opposed to the other gyms in other cities. I've got 24 Hour Fitness, so there are lots of those in the area. But I never went to any other but mine and I was essentially throwing money away each month for a service I didn't use. Ugh. So I'm glad I called because I was able to save money and keep my gym membership. Maybe they could work something similar out with you. Last thing they want to do is lose a member so they may try and make you a deal.

    ReplyDelete