Goal setting - it's been the talk of my Pastor of late.
I'm typically not goal orientated. I tend to not think past the current minute, hour, day. Setting goals for the future seems so foreign - but I've decided that I need to start setting them in all areas of my life. I plan to buy a journal and section it out in categories - family, home, personal, spiritual, financial....
I suppose my first goal is to actually go out and get the journal!!!!!
Today, this blog will become my journal page for the first set of goals I'm setting - personal health goals.
For the last two years I have been in the best shape I have ever been in. I had joined a gym and four to five mornings a week I worked out. I took two spin classes and three body sculpting classes a week and could actually see muscle definition in my shoulders, back, arms and legs. I felt powerful, in control of my body, and healthy both physically and mentally.
Then two months ago everything changed...
Because of the financial situation we are in, I could no longer justify not working. God blessed me with a perfect part time job that allows me to see my kids off in the morning, and be here when they get home from school. This change took away my morning work out routine, and for the past two months I have done nothing.
Physically and mentally it's starting to take its toll....
So, starting tomorrow (of course tomorrow, you never start the day you decide!!!), here are the changes I plan to make in my life...
1. Eat some sort of breakfast. I never do this. My morning meal is coffee, which typically sustains me till about 1:00, when I eat lunch. But when 3:00 hits, I start grazing until dinner, and I want to stop that. I know if I fuel my body in the morning and afternoon I can control this.
2. Start exercising again. I want to get back to at least four days a week doing at least a half hour cardio and some strength training. I have not canceled my gym membership yet - I either need to use it or lose it. There really is no reason I can't exercise outside and use my hand weights.
3. Think about everything I put into my mouth. The past week I've been downing way too many carbs and sugars. Some of this has been hormonal eating, but it's also been emotional eating. I've been having a pity party with chips and ice cream!!
4. Drink more water. I'm horrible at this and my body often reminds me of how dehydrated I am with painful leg cramps!
5. Eat more veggies. More specifically salads. I love salads, but I hate making them. I want to try and have some sort of salad, even be it a simple greens only, every night with our meal.
6. Focus on making all these changes because it's better for me, not because I want to look better. I know the better I take care of my body, the better it will be to me.
I need to figure out what I can eat for breakfast that's fast and needs minimal prep time - this goal will be my toughest. Any suggestions is well appreciated!!!!!